Johnson's Outlaw
Last Post: rhaknid
02-23-2017 02:24 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 2286

Has anyone tried doing this
03-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Thumbs Up Has anyone tried doing this
Hello everyone. I was just wondering how many on here have dyed or started dyeing there feathers or dubbing? Its a no go when your tying a certain fly or salmon fly and then find out you ran out of the colour you need. And maybe you can go to a fly shop they may have it or they don't carry it no more. Then what do you do forget it or learn how to dye your own. That's the question here. Here's my mohair I've been doing for salmon flies and some classic wet and dry flies.

Best Regards, Ken Confused

[Image: DSCF1544_zpsgkildwnd.jpg]

" A flair in a particular field gives one satisfaction and pride and helps a person to grow in stature “
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2016, 09:02 AM
RE: Has anyone tried doing this
Ken,

I just took a class two weeks ago that included a section of coloring/dying feathers, fur and synthetics. I have always avoided dying thinking it was worth the mess and clean up for the small amount of materials I would use. Well my opinion changed after the class. The instructor talked about several ways to dye or color but the easiest was to use a product from Jaquard's called Dye-Na-Flow which is used to color cloth. We did it in the class and it was easy, fast, and not difficult to clean up. Basically all that was needed was to wash the feather/fur in a mild soap, dry, then add the Dye-Na-Flow to small jar, shake the jar every 5 minutes, remove to material and place in a zip lock baggie squeeze out the access dye, cut a corner and drain dye back into a jarm remove material and pat dry with a paper towel (it takes several towels), then brush fur. I did a synthetic material from white to orange and it took about 20 minutes and it came out great.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes NCL's post
03-29-2016, 09:57 AM
RE: Has anyone tried doing this
(03-29-2016 09:02 AM)NCL Wrote:  Ken,

I just took a class two weeks ago that included a section of coloring/dying feathers, fur and synthetics. I have always avoided dying thinking it was worth the mess and clean up for the small amount of materials I would use. Well my opinion changed after the class. The instructor talked about several ways to dye or color but the easiest was to use a product from Jaquard's called Dye-Na-Flow which is used to color cloth. We did it in the class and it was easy, fast, and not difficult to clean up. Basically all that was needed was to wash the feather/fur in a mild soap, dry, then add the Dye-Na-Flow to small jar, shake the jar every 5 minutes, remove to material and place in a zip lock baggie squeeze out the access dye, cut a corner and drain dye back into a jarm remove material and pat dry with a paper towel (it takes several towels), then brush fur. I did a synthetic material from white to orange and it took about 20 minutes and it came out great.

That's great Mitch. Its alot of fun.Here's the ones I use Jacquard Acid Dye for silk,wool and feathers. I also done some deer hair. Think there is no end.

Best Regards, Ken

" A flair in a particular field gives one satisfaction and pride and helps a person to grow in stature “
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter