Johnson's Outlaw
Last Post: rhaknid
02-23-2017 02:24 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 929

Williamson hex hatch
07-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Williamson hex hatch
I know this is mostly a nighttime hatch. Other than that I don't know much about it. It seems that when I hear that it is starting the early morning bite dies. What can all you experienced people tell me about it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 05:49 AM
RE: Williamson hex hatch
Dan,

I don't have any experience on the Williamson Hex hatch but I have fished the hex hatch on Lake Almanor. The nights we fished the hatch was very sparse and the fish did not seem the be on them. We started about 5:00 PM using a Hex nymph on a full sink line, the retrieve was a slow pull of about 6 inches then a drop. About 6:30 PM a few bugs were on the surface, it is no exaggeration the Hex's are bright yellow, the bugs that were hatching were being chased by a couple of Grebe's on the lake, including a dry fly I later put on. We fished until about 10:00 PM and the Hex's still were not hatching in great numbers. I have never managed to hit the hatch just right but others have told me if you do it can be an incredible experience.
07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
(07-01-2014 05:28 AM)dan Wrote:  I know this is mostly a nighttime hatch. Other than that I don't know much about it. It seems that when I hear that it is starting the early morning bite dies. What can all you experienced people tell me about it.

Dan, in my experience, I have found that the fish will still bite in the morning, they just bite differently. I also fish the hatch starting around 6ish much like what Mitch has described. I rarely fish the hex hatch with drys, but rather fish a nymph.

Wade Softly and Carry a Big Stick.
http://www.southernoregonflyfishing.com/
Southern Oregon Fly Fishing Information
Catch Me on Facebook
07-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the information fellas.
07-07-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 06:53 PM by dan.)
Here is one I caught on the fourth.[attachment=136]

Well sorry guys I need to learn how to post pictures.
07-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Right on Dan! To post pictures you first have to have the picture somewhere on the Internet. Then you hit the pictures button and copy and paste the pictures Internet address in the pop up, then wala you put a picture in your post.

Catch Me on Facebook
07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
(07-02-2014 05:49 AM)NCL Wrote:  Dan,

I don't have any experience on the Williamson Hex hatch but I have fished the hex hatch on Lake Almanor. The nights we fished the hatch was very sparse and the fish did not seem the be on them. We started about 5:00 PM using a Hex nymph on a full sink line, the retrieve was a slow pull of about 6 inches then a drop. About 6:30 PM a few bugs were on the surface, it is no exaggeration the Hex's are bright yellow, the bugs that were hatching were being chased by a couple of Grebe's on the lake, including a dry fly I later put on. We fished until about 10:00 PM and the Hex's still were not hatching in great numbers. I have never managed to hit the hatch just right but others have told me if you do it can be an incredible experience.
Here is a tid bit on how I fish them!
http://southernoregonflyfishing.blogspot...-spey.html

Catch Me on Facebook
07-08-2014, 07:58 PM
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/5p4u2pflnu8a7d...Z5da/trout

Here is one I caught on the fourth.
Thanks Nate. I also used a yellow nymph with a little black as the tail. I actually missed 11 Friday. Haven't figured out why I miss them. I feel the bite and lift and nothing there. Sometimes the line comes shooting back at me. Saturday caught 3 didn't really feel any bite at all they were just there all of a sudden. Hard to get pictures and release them when you're by yourself. Lots of fun though.
07-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Dan have you been on the river? I am dragging from getting off the river late last few nights!

Catch Me on Facebook
07-13-2014, 11:27 AM
(07-13-2014 08:12 AM)Nate Bailey Wrote:  Dan have you been on the river? I am dragging from getting off the river late last few nights!

I only fished the evening on the fourth. My eyelids automatically go shut at 9 pm. I have been fishing the early morning. Get there about 4:45 am. Since I broke 6 ribs on my right side I can only fish about 3 or 4 hours, really disappointing. I just enjoy the time I'm there though. I got 2 yesterday 1 was a nice fat 21 incher other one about 14 inches. Today didn't do any good at all. Made heck of a mess out of my tippet twice, not sure what I did wrong. Have you been doing any good?

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter