Johnson's Outlaw
Last Post: rhaknid
02-23-2017 02:24 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 638

Let's get this party started!
11-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Let's get this party started!
The west coast seems to be where they see value in having fly casting venues, what about your area?
The lucky dogs in San Francisco have not only the Golden Gate Casting Club but not far away are some perfect looking (from Google Maps anyhow) casting pools at McCrea Memorial Park.
I'm trying to drum up ideas on how to get our civic leaders to put aside a little of the huge pool of money they have for recreation purposes for a casting venue of some sort. Lord knows we have enough football, soccer, baseball and tennis courts around between the schools and the public parks.
So, does your area have any areas dedicated to the casting sports?
In the early 1900's I understand that most major cities had casting teams and competitions. Could it be time to ramp this up again so people of all ages can get out and share a hobby/sport and compete locally, regionally then... who knows?

Zoom in here for a view of the McCrea ponds: Map of park
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Peddler's post
11-01-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Let's get this party started!
Good post Peddler and a great idea. In 1965 (or '66) our club, Russian River Fly Fishers in Santa Rosa, worked with the city and got a casting pond installed (100' by 200') at Dan Galvan Community Park. The pond is open to the public and on one day each week we have up to five casting instructors and rod/reel setups for beginners to use. This park has golf, tennis soccor, baseball and a dog walking park. No reason why some of the funds dedicated to outdoor activities should not be used for a pond. Our club keeps it filled and clean and the park keeps the grass and grounds in good order. Hope your post encourages folks to work on this idea with their community leaders.

(11-01-2013 08:13 AM)Peddler Wrote:  The west coast seems to be where they see value in having fly casting venues, what about your area?
The lucky dogs in San Francisco have not only the Golden Gate Casting Club but not far away are some perfect looking (from Google Maps anyhow) casting pools at McCrea Memorial Park.
I'm trying to drum up ideas on how to get our civic leaders to put aside a little of the huge pool of money they have for recreation purposes for a casting venue of some sort. Lord knows we have enough football, soccer, baseball and tennis courts around between the schools and the public parks.
In the early 1900's I understand that most major cities had casting teams and competitions. Could it be time to ramp this up again so people of all ages can get out and share a hobby/sport and compete locally, regionally then... who knows?

[+] 2 users Like Larry H's post
11-20-2013, 04:15 PM
(11-01-2013 01:01 PM)Larry H Wrote:  Good post Peddler and a great idea. In 1965 (or '66) our club, Russian River Fly Fishers in Santa Rosa, worked with the city and got a casting pond installed (100' by 200') at Dan Galvan Community Park. The pond is open to the public and on one day each week we have up to five casting instructors and rod/reel setups for beginners to use. This park has golf, tennis soccor, baseball and a dog walking park. No reason why some of the funds dedicated to outdoor activities should not be used for a pond. Our club keeps it filled and clean and the park keeps the grass and grounds in good order. Hope your post encourages folks to work on this idea with their community leaders.

(11-01-2013 08:13 AM)Peddler Wrote:  The west coast seems to be where they see value in having fly casting venues, what about your area?

Westmoreland Park in Portland has a casting pond, created years ago when fly-casting was almost a sport in itself. There may be fly casters who still practice/learn there, but it is now better known to the public as a venue for R/C boats, model sail boats, and the annual Milk Carton Boat Races during the Rose Festival, where kids create "boats" out of bundles of milk cartons and paddle/race across the pond for a trophy.

Spade
[+] 1 user Likes Spade's post
11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info Spade. May have to swing by there some time and put it to use.
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
(11-20-2013 05:28 PM)Redside Wrote:  Thanks for the info Spade. May have to swing by there some time and put it to use.

Check with (probably) Portland Parks & Recreation to find out when the casting pond in Westmoreland Park is available. I read in another thread that it is empty right now.

Spade
08-06-2014, 12:58 AM
If anyone come to Malaysia, u may ask me where to fight paypond with fly here.
This ponds around Kuala Lumpur got Pacu, Mekong catfish, redtail, barramundi, GT, etc... just let me know

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter