» Replies: 4
» Views: 1149
Johnson's Outlaw
Last Post: rhaknid
02-23-2017 02:24 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 929

LTS - Hawaiian Bones
11-02-2014, 06:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 11:09 AM by rhaknid.)
LTS - Hawaiian Bones
Because of the size of the bonefish on Hawaiian flats people think you need heavier weight rods like 8's and 9's. Yes, those weights can be beneficial when you hook into a monster 14 pounder, but good luck even getting close to one of those if you can't present the fly softly and precisely. I believe that Mike Henessey once told me that he prefers 7 weights and I know that Kenny Karas likes 6 weights (Well at least he did).

I brought with me a LTS Explosive 890 to see how well it would cast and handle the bones of Hawaii. Because I have casted and used this rod a few times, I wanted to get my guide Kenny's reaction to it... When he first picked it up he asked if it was a 5 or 6 weight? I told him it was an 8 weight and he looked at me with confused eyes that said BS, turned the butt of the rod to read the writing that says "LTS Explosive 890" and uttered the words "Holy Crap!"

[Image: lts-bone-01.jpg]

Once we got out to the water I told him to bring the rod with him to give it a try. I explained that when I hire a guide I'm actually hiring a fishing buddy because I know that guides rarely get to fish because the customer comes first. He started casting the LTS Explosive and I could here the words "No Fricking way", "Awesome", and "Woohoo" as he casted and hooked into the only bones of that morning. He told me how the LTS impressed him and that he had never had an 8 weight present the fly so well and so lightly.

[Image: lts-bone-02.jpg]

Well to better get the word out about these AMAZING rods I decided to give Kenny mine as a tip and his eyes bulged out of his head with a smile as wide and as bright as the sunrise while saying "are you sh*tting me"

[Image: lts-bone-03.jpg]

If you ever want to hunt for monster bones in Oahu, Hawaii then be sure to take your LTS Explosive, call Hawaii on the Fly and ask for Kenny.

[Image: lts-bone-04.jpg]

Derek M Bachmann
Founder
I'd rather be Fly Fishing The Salt!
Big Stick Fly Fishing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like rhaknid's post
11-02-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: LTS - Hawaiian Bones
Were you fishing in Pearl Harbor, or nearby?

Those buildings in the background remind me of that area.

Looks like you had a great time!

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man." Heraclitus
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
I feel exactly the same way about the Explosive spey rod.

Wade Softly and Carry a Big Stick.
http://www.southernoregonflyfishing.com/
Southern Oregon Fly Fishing Information
Catch Me on Facebook
[+] 1 user Likes Nate Bailey's post
11-04-2014, 10:06 AM
(11-02-2014 06:34 AM)rhaknid Wrote:  Because of the size of the bonefish on Hawaiian flats people think you need heavier weight rods like 8's and 9's. Yes, those weights can be beneficial when you hook into a monster 14 pounder, but good luck even getting close to one of those if you can't present the fly softly and precisely. I believe that Mike Henessey once told me that he prefers 7 weights and I know that Kenny Karas likes 6 weights (Well at least he did).

I brought with me a LTS Explosive 890 to see how well it would cast and handle the bones of Hawaii. Because I have casted and used this rod a few times, I wanted to get my guide Kenny's reaction to it... When he first picked it up he asked if it was a 5 or 6 weight? I told him it was an 8 weight and he looked at me with confused eyes that said BS, turned the butt of the rod to read the writing that says "LTS Explosive 890" and uttered the words "Holy Crap!"

[Image: lts-bone-01.jpg]

Once we got out to the water I told him to bring the rod with him to give it a try. I explained that when I hire a guide I'm actually hiring a fishing buddy because I know that guides rarely get to fish because the customer comes first. He started casting the LTS Explosive and I could here the words "No Fricking way", "Awesome", and "Woohoo" as he casted and hooked into the only bones of that morning. He told me how the LTS impressed him and that he had never had an 8 weight present the fly so well and so lightly.

[Image: lts-bone-02.jpg]

Well to better get the word out about these AMAZING rods I decided to give Kenny mine as a tip and his eyes bulged out of his head with a smile as wide and as bright as the sunrise while saying "are you sh*tting me"

[Image: lts-bone-03.jpg]

If you ever want to hunt for monster bones in Oahu, Hawaii them be sure to take your LTS Explosive, call Hawaii on the Fly and ask for Kenny.

[Image: lts-bone-04.jpg]

Thanks so much Derek for this awesome review on the LTS Explosive 890! I am so pleased that the rod worked out for bones for you both, and Kenny liked it so much. Big Grin I need to go catch some big bones with Kenny !
11-05-2014, 05:57 AM
(11-02-2014 08:30 AM)bbudesa Wrote:  Were you fishing in Pearl Harbor, or nearby?

Pretty close, Sand Island.

Derek M Bachmann
Founder
I'd rather be Fly Fishing The Salt!
Big Stick Fly Fishing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2014, 12:29 PM
(11-05-2014 05:57 AM)rhaknid Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 08:30 AM)bbudesa Wrote:  Were you fishing in Pearl Harbor, or nearby?

Pretty close, Sand Island.

I lived at sand island for a couple of months back in my CG days...I sure wish i would have known there were bone fish there!

Wade Softly and Carry a Big Stick.
http://www.southernoregonflyfishing.com/
Southern Oregon Fly Fishing Information
Catch Me on Facebook
11-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm never going back to those rocks in the pacific without my rod!

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river, and he is not the same man." Heraclitus
[+] 1 user Likes bbudesa's post

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter